A supplementary agreement to the 1992 Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), chosen at the 10th Conference of Parties (COP) to the CBD (Oct. 2010)
- Access to bio-resources require a prior informed consent (PIC) from the country of origin
- Benefits* arising from the use of genetic resources and related traditional knowledge are to be shared based on the mutually agreed terms (MAT)
- (Financial benefits) Royalties, access fees, joint possession of intellectual property rights, etc.
- (Non-financial benefits) Sharing of R&D results, participation in product development, joint research, etc.
- Preparation of domestic laws and Installation of more than one checkpoints (inspection agencies) to monitor the adherence to the protocol